|Smile, Darn Ya, Smile!|
Smile, Darn Ya, Smile! is a Merrie Melodies cartoon short (September 5, 1931), and also the title of the song performed in the cartoon. This is one of only three Merrie Melodies cartoons to star Foxy, the other two being "Lady, Play Your Mandolin!" (August, 1931) and "One More Time" (October 3, 1931).
Foxy is a trolley engineer, whose problems include an obese lady hippo who can't fit into the trolley and a set of wheels that detach from the trolley car while it's moving. Foxy picks up his vixen girlfriend and gives her a ride, but then the car is blocked by a cow who won't get off the track. A group of nearby hobos sing the title song while Foxy tries to move the cow; he finally runs the car underneath the cow and goes on his way.
The trolley then goes down a hill and runs out of control; Foxy tries to stop it, but the brakes don't work. The trolley runs off of a cliff, throwing Foxy right into the camera... and then he wakes up from what turned out to be just a dream, making the events of the cartoon fanon. The radio by his bed is playing the title song, but Foxy smashes it with a bedpost.
- The title song was featured twice in the 1988 movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit; first when Eddie drives into Toontown, and again at the end of the film. The song can now be heard as part of the background area music in the Esplanade at the Disneyland Resort as well as in the Mickey's Toontown area of Disneyland Park.
- The lady hippo's gibberish dialogue is actually the following sentence played backwards: "Susie heard one of those Atlantic bells! Whataya think?"
- Inside the trolley car are a number of parody advertisements based on real products of the time, including Arrow collars ("Narrow Collars"), Smith Brothers cough drops ("Sniff Brothers Cough Drops") and Fisk Tires ("Risk Tires").
- A portion of this cartoon appeared on a couple episodes of Pee-wee's Playhouse.
- Laserdisc - The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Vol. 1, Side 1: 1930's Musicals
- VHS - The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Vol. 1: 1930's Musicals
- DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6, Disc 3