Rabbit Transit is an 8-minute Looney Tunes cartoon, directed by Friz Freleng, released in 1947, and starring Bugs Bunny and Cecil Turtle. Cecil and Bugs had previously raced each other in 1941's Tortoise Beats Hare and 1943's Tortoise Wins by a Hare. This cartoon was their final encounter. Unlike Tortoise Wins by a Hare, this cartoon presumes that Bugs and Cecil have never met before now.
The title is a play on the phrase "rapid transit."
While relaxing in a steam bath, Bugs reads about the original fable and, as he did reading the credits of Tortoise Beats Hare, becomes incensed at the idea of a turtle outrunning a rabbit. Cecil, also in the steam bath, claims that he could outrun Bugs, prompting Bugs to challenge him to a race (again, as in Tortoise Beats Hare, although at least here Bugs receives some provocation). This time, Bugs and Cecil agree to no cheating. Cecil, however, quickly reveals that his shell is now rocket propelled, allowing him to go a surprising combination between fast and slow. Bugs does his best to steal, dismantle, and destroy the device, but all to little effect. In the end, however, Bugs does manage to top the turtle and crosses the finish line first. Nevertheless, it is Cecil who has the last laugh when he rooks the rabbit into confessing to "doing 100 easy"—in a 30-miles-per-hour zone. Bugs is taken away by the police to enjoy his victory—behind bars. Cecil closes out the cartoon by saying Bugs' famous line, "Ain't I a...um...stinker?".
- This was the final cartoon in the 1946-47 season.
- AAP, Associated Artists Productions, acquired the rights to air all three Cecil cartoons, throughout the 1950s-1980s. The cartoons rights later changed hands until reached through Time Warner in 1996. Since that merger, it is now available restored on DVD.
- VHS - Cartoon Moviestars: Bugs!
- Laserdisc - Cartoon Moviestars: Bugs! and Elmer!
- VHS - Bugs Bunny Collection: Bugs Bunny's Zaniest Toons
- Laserdisc - The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Vol. 1, Side 10: The Art of Bugs
- VHS - The Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Vol. 10: The Art of Bugs
- DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 2, Disc One
- Blu-Ray, DVD - Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Volume 2, Disc 2