The title is a takeoff on "Welsh rarebit", which is also known as "Welsh rabbit".
Two French chefs, Louis (the red-haired chef) and François (the black-haired chef) , both want to cook dinner specials for their restaurants, and both their dishes involve rabbits. They both spot Bugs and fight over who gets to cook him until Bugs outwits both of them. Bugs tricks the chefs into believing he has a recipe from the famed Antoine's of New Orleans; allowed to demonstrate it on them, he places them both in a bowl of vegetables, then places this into an oven with a stick of dynamite. After the dynamite explodes, the chefs, having survived the blast, sing Alouette. Bugs then comments "Ehh, personally I prefer hamburger".
The version of this cartoon that aired as part of ABC's "The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show" was edited to tone down violence:
- the part where Louis and François (the two French chefs) clobber each other with cookery (that Bugs provides for both of them) was shortened.
- Bugs inserting a stick of dynamite into a carrot before placing it in the pot with the two chefs inside.
- Unlike most cartoons reissued during the time, the original closing title was kept.
- Francois would later appear near the end of the direct-to-video film "BahHumDuck! A Looney Tunes Christmas" as Wile E. Coyote's personal chef which Daffy Duck had hired for him as his Christmas present.
- DVD - Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 2, Disc One
French Rarebit at SuperCartoons.net
French Rarebit at B99.TV