|Cats and Bruises|
Sylvester spies on the Cinco De Mayo festival where Speedy Gonzales and his friends are dancing and partying. Sylvester then dons a mouse disguise consisting of only a pair of mouse ears, and gatecrashes into the festival. At first when two of Speedy's friends mistake Sylvester in the mouse disguise as a giant mouse, Speedy points out to them that its a cat (el gato), not a mouse, and all the mice then retreat and run for their lives.
Speedy then lures Sylvester to the dog pound, where the cat gets attacked by numerous bulldogs. Sylvester escapes from the dog pound and continues chasing Speedy. And when Sylvester successfully catches Speedy with a net, Speedy continues running inside the net, dragging Sylvester along until the cat crashes into a pole.
Later, Speedy is serenading his girlfriend on a boat on the lake. Sylvester goes after Speedy in an inflatable raft, but Speedy throws a dart into the raft, puncturing it and causing Sylvester to sink underwater into the lake.
Next, Sylvester drags a box, a plank and a 500-pound weight to the point at the base of the apartment building that is in a direct vertical line with the window where Speedy and his girlfriend are. He supports the plank with the box in the middle, stands on one end of the plank and heaves the weight onto the other end. This propels him up to Speedy's level and enables him to snatch the mouse. However, as he runs off, the weight lands hard on his head.
Finally, Sylvester builds himself a hot rod racing car and chases Speedy with it. As the chase continues, Sylvester realizes that he forgot to put brakes on the car, and drives off a cliff and into the lake in the middle of the desert.
With Sylvester out of the way, Speedy then tells his friends that the party continues. Speedy's triumph is however short-lived, as an injured Sylvester in a wheelchair then chases Speedy at slow speed, so slow that Speedy lightly jogs away, ending the cartoon with Speedy saying "This is the only way to run".
- VHS - The Looney Tunes Video Show, Volume 2
- This cartoon contains reused animation from "Here Today, Gone Tamale", "The Pied Piper of Guadalupe" "Dog Pounded", "A Pizza Tweety-Pie" and "Canary Row."
- The mouse ears Sylvester wears at the start of the cartoon are the same ones as in the end of "Here Today, Gone Tamale", except here they are all black, resembling those of Mickey Mouse's ears from Disney. This could be due to budget cuts in the animation.
- This cartoon marks one of the last pairings of Speedy Gonzales and Sylvester ("The Wild Chase" would be their last pairing) and the last cartoon in The Golden Age of American Animation where Sylvester speaks (in his final two appearances, "The Wild Chase" and "A Taste of Catnip", Sylvester does not speak).
- This is the only cartoon where Speedy Gonzales loses to Sylvester at the end.
- When Sylvester starts chasing one of Speedy's friends, his mouse ears disappear from the shot permanently.
- During a brief shot showing the bulldogs in the dog pound, the bulldogs are static (they do not move at all), and also their mouths do not move to the barking sounds.
|Speedy Gonzales Cartoons|
|1953||Cat-Tails for Two|
|1957||Tabasco Road • Gonzales' Tamales|
|1959||Mexicali Shmoes • Here Today, Gone Tamale|
|1960||West of the Pesos|
|1961||Cannery Woe • The Pied Piper of Guadalupe|
|1963||Mexican Cat Dance • Chili Weather|
|1964||A Message to Gracias • Nuts and Volts • Pancho's Hideaway • Road to Andalay|
|1965||It's Nice to Have a Mouse Around The House • Cats and Bruises • The Wild Chase • Moby Duck • Assault and Peppered • Well Worn Daffy • Chili Corn Corny • Go Go Amigo|
|1966||The Astroduck • Mucho Locos • Mexican Mousepiece • Daffy Rents • A-Haunting We Will Go • Snow Excuse • A Squeak in the Deep • Feather Finger • Swing Ding Amigo • A Taste of Catnip|
|1967||Daffy's Diner • Quacker Tracker • The Music Mice-Tro • The Spy Swatter • Speedy Ghost to Town • Rodent to Stardom • Go Away Stowaway • Fiesta Fiasco|
|1968||Skyscraper Caper • See Ya Later Gladiator|
|1979||The Fright Before Christmas|
|1980||The Chocolate Chase|